review: YL Thieves Dentarome Plus Toothpaste
Here’s a straight up honest review on the Young Living Thieves Dentarome Plus Toothpaste.
So I’m someone who has enjoyed commercial sweet minty teeth whitening do-it-all toothpaste for as long as I have a memory. I have super sensitive teeth and gums – and I’m one of those teeth clenchers (not grinders) when I sleep. I’ve also had an immense fear of going to the dentist forever due to childhood experiences with an old-fashioned dentist in the 70s and multiple teeth extractions. When we moved to AZ from Maui I didn’t know who to try for our new dentist and was such a chicken that well, I waited too long and ended up needing the heinous ‘root planing and scraping’ procedure to clean far below the gum line. I will do A N Y T H I N G to never endure that again. Floss – Floss – Floss ….. and dental cleanings 2-3x a year !!!
I had already purchased the YL Therapeutic Grade Thieves essential oil blend and was intrigued by the Thieves Dentarome Plus Toothpaste. I read others had used it with great reviews – so I bought it along with the Thieves Floss. (I’ll review that separately later.)
What’s in the Thieves Dentarome Plus Toothpaste?
Why are the ingredients helpful? *
CLOVE – promotes a healthy immune response, and may support overall wellness*. Clove has been used traditionally as a spice for thousands of years, and provides a rich and spicy addition to your favorite recipes. This oil includes the naturally occurring constituent eugenol, and is an important ingredient in many products including Thieves®, ImmuPower™, Inner Defense™, and Longevity™.
LEMON – naturally occurring constituent limonene. Lemon may also be used to enhance the flavor of foods.
CINNAMON BARK – promotes a healthy immune response, and helps maintain a healthy lifestyle regimen*. Cinnamon has been used traditionally for thousands of years as a spice, and provides a spicy and delicious addition when cooking or baking. This oil includes the naturally occurring constituent cinnamaldehyde, and is an important ingredient in many Young Living products including Thieves®, Abundance™, and Inner Defense™.
EUCALYPTUS – useful for massage after activity, and can be diffused for a stimulating and rejuvenating environment. This oil has a mildly pungent, sweet, and fruity aroma, and includes the naturally occurring constituents 1, 8 cineole and eucalyptol. Eucalyptus Radiata can be used in your favorite household cleaners, and is an important ingredient in Breathe Again™ Roll-On, Thieves®, and R.C.™ essential oil blends, Inner Defense™, and Ortho Ease® Massage Oil.
ROSEMARY – elps support a healthy lifestyle regimen and well-being*. This oil provides a savory addition to many meats marinades, side dishes, and dressings. Rosemary includes the naturally occurring constituents eucalyptol and alpha-pinene, and is an important ingredient in many Young Living products including Thieves®, En-R-Gee™, and JuvaFlex™ essential oil blends, Essentialzymes-4™ and Inner Defense™.
WINTERGREEN – a sweet, minty scent. The oil is distilled from the small evergreen herb’s leaves. The refreshing, clean taste of wintergreen has made it a favorite in flavoring numerous products. Wintergreen contains the same active ingredient (methyl salicylate) as birch and is beneficial in massage for soothing head tension and muscles after exercising. Wintergreen has an approximate ORAC of 1,018,439 (TE/L). TE/L is expressed as micromole Trolox equivalent per liter.
PEPPERMINT – one of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for supporting normal digestion, including promoting healthy intestinal function and gastrointestinal system comfort.*
* updated youngliving.com 2015 re: FDA rules
What’s in my old toothpaste?
Colgate Total Anticavity Fluoride and Antigingivitis Toothpaste, Advanced Clean
The Skin Deep Database (www.ewg.org) gives this toothpaste a rating of 4 out of 10 on the ‘HAZARD/CONCERN RATING’ so not terrible.
However when you read about a few of the more ‘of concern’ ingredients makes me think I’d rather be putting natural pure ingredients into my mouth!!
- TRICLOSAN – Ecotoxicology, Endocrine disruption, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Contamination concerns (CHLOROFORM, DIOXINS), Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Persistence and bioaccumulation
- SODIUM FLUORIDE – Developmental/reproductive toxicity, Multiple, additive exposure sources, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Occupational hazards, Use restrictions
- FD&C BLUE 1 – Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Persistence and bioaccumulation
- SODIUM HYDROXIDE – Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
- PROPYLENE GLYCOL – Enhanced skin absorption, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
SUMMARY of my EXPERIENCE
- The ingredients on their own tell me that this choice is a no-brainer to use
- it’s off-white and very smooth in texture, no grit whatsoever
- smells like mostly a mild cinnamon with a hint of mint
- I do NOT enjoy the taste of it !! I’m not used to ‘natural’ toothpaste so I was unprepared for a different taste. The YL Thieves Dentarome Plus Toothpaste toothpaste has a slightly bitter taste to it – sort of ‘burns’ . . . (obviously because of the cinnamon)
- While I really don’t like how it tastes I do like that subtle burn – it actually feels like the toothpaste is ‘doing something!!’ and invigorating my gums. This sensation actually lingers for a few minutes after brushing is done and my teeth actually feel super slick and clean.
- I don’t think this has any tooth whitening properties which is why there is an Ultra version of this toothpaste – I was going to buy that one instead but it was out of stock! 😉
- My mouth feels fresh but doesn’t necessarily taste good…. like the old minty toothpaste.
- I actually think my teeth sensitivity has gone way way down !!
- A tiny amount goes a long way! I think this 4 oz. tube will last a long time !!
Would I buy it again?
I think I would try the Thieves Dentarome Ultra Toothpaste OR the brand new Thieves AromaBright toothpaste first OR the KidScents Slique Toothpaste (sounds more citrus-y) . . . to see if there is a taste difference! Again, not loving the flavor . . . BUT . . . I do LOVE how my teeth and gums feel afterwards – alive!!
*tip* just read that if you put a drop of LEMON on your toothpaste and brush it will help brighten your smile! [updated 1/10/14 see comment below]
I will comment on this review again after my next dental cleaning appointment!
UPDATE: 1/10/14 – review available on the new Thieves AromaBright toothpaste!
If you are curious about Young Living products and want to ask me any questions feel free to contact me.
If this review helped you and inspired you to want to become a YL member (to get wholesale prices) or to simply purchase as a retail customer – and you don’t already have another YL distributor helping you – you’ll need a Sponsor and Enroller ID# when you login. My ID# is 1304610 and can be popped into both fields. Many thanks!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Young Living products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.