homeschool room organization overhaul time
I n our house, there is NEVER such a thing as a “little re-organization.”
My husband is the King of do-overs. I can’t even count the number of times that he has re-organized our house (multiply that by the 6 homes we’ve had together from Maui to Washington State back to Maui and lastly to Arizona.) I can tell when he has something brewing in his head because he’ll be sitting there and all of a sudden he will start looking around at the cabinets, drawers, wall units…. a plain wall …… always ends up as a project. While it makes me a bit nervous… it ALWAYS always always is for the best.
Our school room has some major problems – at it’s best, yes, it can look clean and beautiful … until you open up the doors. On a really atrocious day… there’s no room on any single horizontal surface and I find the doors open with papers falling out and they are working on art projects on the floor !
These are the issues:
- it’s a small room (a dining room) and every single space counts
- we have wonderful Ikea Effectiv cabinetry – and yet we keep filling it all up and then some
- the art and craft materials fit strangely and we have SO MUCH OF IT
- so many books and binders that don’t like living together on the same shelf – everything gets hidden behind the angled binders
- book flop+fall over is a MAJOR peeve of mine… enough to put me in a sanitarium
- nowhere for the everyday tools to go – like ruler, calculator, stapler, 3-hole puncher etc.
- math manipulatives are crammed with the books
- no central place for archived finished curriculum to live (waiting for BamBam to get older and Pebbles is through with it) Currently in different places in the house ! I’ve forgotten where everything is … literally.
- tried keeping Pebbles and BamBam’s stuff on their own shelf… but it’s crammed and hard to find what I need to pull out
- paper supplies are getting destroyed and are hard to pull out
- we have a billion coloring books falling over each other – many too young for Pebbles and not interesting for BamBam (Hello Kitty, My Little Pony? :D)
- we have lots of craft project gifts but they don’t live anywhere
- there are bulky tools like laminators and my sewing box that don’t fit in well
- don’t have an organized way to set aside or store keepsakes or favorite assignment
- we have an old keyboard and stand that we’re not using (we upgraded and the new one is up in Pebbles’ room) and it’s created an unusable space as there is a shelf Dad put in to hold music at one time
Initially we were going to do a simple Ikea Expedit 5×5 unit and just add some bins and put books out organized by subject and move our old Ikea Beech wood Effectiv tall cabinet into the office to hold some tall things. However, until hub’s brain started churning….. it is now going to change our dining ‘hutch,’ our photo & memory cabinet, office AND school room — oh, and in the short term – BamBam’s closet.
My quick fix has turned into a mega overhaul and it does make me start to hyperventilate considering we were going to start school on Monday with my angelic vision of tidiness sparkling in my dreams.
(* note, this “Monday” was our first day of the school year back in August 2013 when I wrote this post and saved it as a draft …. and now…. it’s New Year’s Eve 2013 😉 So …. yeah. A little belated. Hubby pulled it off as I knew he would as you’ll see in the AFTER post. 4 months later yes, our table and sideboard were full of drawings and projects AGAIN …. but was all put away properly and is ready to start school in the new year thankfully.)
So you’ve seen our homeschool room at it’s most sorry state and it feels great to know that improvement is always available with patience and creativity!