Auntie Ivy’s Lemon Pudding
Pebbles was doing FaceTime with her Grandparents in Vancouver, BC today and watched Grandma make my Auntie Ivy’s Lemon Pudding from start to finish. She was inspired and asked if we had all the ingredients – with our frozen Meyer lemons that we picked from our trees back in January – we were ready !! I also wanted to make it out of nostalgia … Auntie Ivy is my Godmother’s mom who is no longer with us. She was the kindest, sweetest person … and I remember spending New Year’s Eve at their apartment downtown watching Dick Clark and of course – Donny and Marie Osmond perform on TV. Whenever she came over she’d warmly hold my hand a put a quarter in it and closer her hand over mine with love.
This lemon pudding when baked creates an airy light cake-like texture on the top – and underneath is the thick lemony pudding-sauce below. We put whipped cream on top and garnished with raspberries and a half lemon cookie.
It was very easy to make – and was VERY RICH – sweet and super lemony – delicious. It reminded us of a crustless lemon meringue pie.
AUNTY IVY’S LEMON PUDDING
- 1 cup milk
- 2 TB. flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. melted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs separated into whites and yolks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In bowl, stir together milk, flour, sugar, melted butter, well beaten egg yolks and lemon juice.
- In separate bowl pour in the egg whites and beat very fast with a mixer until stiff and peaks form – super fluffy !! They will increase in volume tremendously.
- Gently mix beaten egg whites into lemon mixture and pour into greased casserole dish.
- Put casserole dish into a larger baking tin. Put 2″ of water into the baking tin so that it surrounds the casserole like a moat.
- Bake for around 40 mins or until the top is a cake texture, firm and slightly browned. We found that we had to bake for much longer…. for us around 55 mins. our oven seems slow sometimes…
- When done take out of the water bath and put on rack to help cool down before serving. Can be eaten hot – if any leftovers can be also good cold.